How Do You Become a Certified Doula?
If you are wondering about how to become a doula? A doula is the supports for the to-be-mothers as well as during and after birth. The meaning of doula means “a woman who serves,” and for centuries they are giving support. Nowadays, doulas need to get trained, and they are regarded highly. If you want to be a professional doula, you need to choose the right path that you want to get trained for, as there are several types of doulas.
You got to decide which type of doula would suit you
A birth doula is the most common type of doula, but there are also various other types of doulas. Doulas these days specialize in two or more areas, but it is important that you choose the right type of doula you want to be and complete the course and then become successful in life. Following are the various types of doulas:
- Birth Doula: Throughout the birth process, birth doulas support the mother and her partner. Their support will be in the form of teaching about birth, emotional encouragement, physical support at the time of labor, massaging, labor positions and teaching breathing techniques. Most of the birth doulas visit the family around 1 to 2 times before the birth and after the birth.
- Antepartum Doula: Mothers who are on bed-rest needs the support of an antepartum They help the family with emotional support and also does some light housework, such as cooking, etc.
- Postpartum Doula: Postpartum doula will help the mother to learn the technique of feeding their kid. Will make everyone in the family understand the normal sleep cycles of an infant. They even calm down the kids. The family will also get support, information as well as help with housework.
- Adoption Doula: The birth mother and the adoptive family needs emotional support, which adoption doula offers. They help on the smooth transition of the kid.
- Miscarriage Doula: When a mother has a miscarriage, the miscarriage doulas helps them deal with the pain, and also emotional and physical support.
So, you first choose which career as a doula you would love to join and then register online or go to a training center and start your training.